Tuesday, July 13, 2004

An Announcement, and a Couple of Notes

Well, like last year, it appears that I'm pretty much going to be taking the entire summer off. I really intended to get back into the swing of things this month, but that's not going to happen; I still have a good month's worth of work in front of me, unfortunately. So while I've broken my vow to stay away from the blogosphere, and have (mostly) returned to my old reading habits, I wouldn't expect to see anything new here until the beginning of August at the earliest.

I've really enjoyed reading Jacob Levy's numerous intelligent defenses of his decision to (probably) vote for Kerry. Despite the fact that Jacob and I have pretty significant differences in our basic moral and philosophical positions regarding politics, despite the fact that both of us dissent from the mainstream political parties in significant ways, I think our very different boats are heading in the same direction this election year. For a couple of political theorists, it's a bit disconcerting to realize that one's vote, this time around, is being dictated not so much by ideas or arguments as simple "competence/honesty/expertise" issues, as Jacob put it. But then, Bush's serious lacking in all three of those has disconcerted a lot of people, right-wing libertarians and left-wing communitarians alike.

As for the rest of the blogosphere, I can't wait to see what Laura comes up with once she's in her new home; like Harry, I'm essentially a fuddy-duddy who wishes I lived in a society that endorsed my desire to leave youth behind; and Timothy, depressingly, is still on vacation. At least I'm not the only one.