Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Where We Are


The fact is, I don't know. I've no military background, and unlike many other bloggers, I haven't been obsessively following every news update, because 1) I haven't the time, 2) I'm not confident that I have a sufficient knowledge base in these political-military-strategic-policy-type matters to be able to effectively put together and assess all such news updates anyway. Like most everyone else, I'm aware of what journalists like Seymour Hersh and Josh Marshall have recently claimed about the connection between events on the ground in Iraq, and ideas bouncing around in the heads of neocons like Rumsfeld and Perle. It seems like a plausible and (given my liberal interventionist sympathies) worrisome claim. But I simply don't feel like I have it in me to come to any conclusions, even tentative ones, about where we are at the present moment, and what where we are at the present moment tells us about who put us there, and where they (if there is a "they") are going to be sending us next. In the meantime, I've been following a debate between Andrew Sullivan and Marshall about just these issues. Even if you've burned out on Sullivan lately, as I have (his arguably admirable single-mindedness has crossed over into an annoying narrow-mindedness, in my view), it's worth reading in full. Begin with Marshall here, then go to Sullivan here, then Marshall here, then Sullivan here, and finally (early this morning--not really a response to Sullivan, but close enough) Marshall right here.